Florida Ecuador columnist facing prison asks U.S. for asylum Writer faces criminal libel judgment for criticizing president

By Curt Anderson

AP Legal Affairs Writer

MIAMI (AP) -- A former Ecuadorean newspaper columnist who faces prison and millions of dollars in fines for criticism of President Rafael Correa asked Wednesday for asylum in the U.S., claiming he is the victim of persecution aimed at stifling free expression.

Emilio Palacio, 58, said in an asylum application that a criminal libel judgment against him shows he "is being severely punished in Ecuador for expressing legitimate opinions and subjective interpretations of factual events."

A hearing was set Wednesday in Miami on his asylum request. A decision isn't likely for weeks or possibly months, said Palacio's attorney Sandra Grossman.

Palacio, formerly the chief opinion writer for the opposition El Universo newspaper, the paper's three owners and the newspaper itself were fined $42 million because of a February 2011 column titled "No To Lies." The four men were also sentenced to three years each in prison.

The column, which referred to Correa as "the Dictator," raised questions about a September 2010 rescue of the president by an army unit during a violent police revolt. Correa responded with a libel suit, which was strongly condemned by international human rights and free speech groups as part of a campaign by Correa to silence legitimate expression and intimidate opposition.

"This case is much bigger than just Emilio," Grossman said.

The Inter-American Press Association, for example, called the president's actions "a systematic and hostile campaign to do away with the independent press." Similar claims have been leveled against Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, an ally of Correa's.

Correa, on the other hand, hailed the verdict as a victory for responsible journalism.

"We're making history, my friends, we won't retreat," Correa said after the initial verdict.

Palacio, who fled to Miami in August with his family, said in his asylum petition he has received threats from Ecuadoreans allied with Correa. One email said: "I hope you come back in a coffin and your wretched children be assassinated."

The application also claims the libel prosecution was a farce, noting that a temporary judge held only a single hearing and then issued a 156-page ruling only 33 hours after taking the case. A U.S. computer security investigator concluded the ruling was not written on the judge's computer and had been transferred from another computer, according to Palacio's application.

Also last year, Correa sued two journalists who disclosed in a book titled "The Big Brother" that companies owned by the president's older brother had won $600 million in state contracts, primarily for road construction. Contrary to the book's claims, Correa says he was unaware of the contracts. His lawyers say his lawsuit is seeking $5 million from each author.

Correa also added a proposal to a May 7 referendum about restricting news media ownership and creating a government oversight panel that would regulate news media content for "excesses." Ecuadoreans backed that and the nine other proposals on the referendum.

Ecuador's highest appellate court is scheduled to hear another appeal in the criminal case Friday.

Published: Thu, Feb 9, 2012

Comments

  1. No comments
Sign in to post a comment »