UDM Law holds Centennial Red Mass

prev
next

The custom of a special religious ceremony for all members of the bench and bar at the opening of each term of the court arose principally in England, France, and Italy in the early 13th century. UDM’s annual Red Mass dates back to 1877 when Detroit College, as the University was then known, began its first year with a mass at Saints Peter and Paul Church to ask the blessings of the Holy Spirit on the coming year’s work. The School of Law continued the tradition when it opened in 1912, again hosting the Red Mass on behalf of the Archdiocese of Detroit at Saints Peter and Paul through the present. Today, the Red Mass is attended by judges, lawyers, and officials of all faiths asking God to bless, strengthen, and enlighten civic and religious leaders, all servants of the law and all people of faith, to effectively achieve justice and freedom for all with cooperation and mutual trust.

Comments

  1. No comments
Sign in to post a comment »