Courts - Courts Round Up


Jury awards $1 million to victim of alleged rape

WATERBURY, Conn. (AP) -- A Connecticut teenage girl who says she was raped in the back of a taxi in Naugatuck in 2007 has been awarded $1 million in a lawsuit against the alleged attacker and the cab company.

A Waterbury Superior Court jury reached its verdict last week in the lawsuit against accused attacker Gerald Terry, Metro Taxi of West Haven and the taxi driver, Jason Hylton.

The lawsuit alleged Hylton was supposed to drive the girl from a school in North Haven to her Naugatuck home in his Metro Taxi cab, but he asked Terry, a convicted sex offender, to transport the girl instead. The girl, who was 16 at the time, claims Terry sexually assaulted her.

Sexual assault charges against Terry remain pending.

Metro Taxi says it plans to appeal the verdict.


Hearing postponed for teacher who shot principal

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A hearing for a fourth grade teacher in Knoxville who is charged with trying to kill a principal and assistant principal at his school has been reset for Wednesday.

Mark Stephen Foster had been due in court on Monday, but the hearing was postponed. He is accused of wounding principal Elisa Luna and assistant principal Amy Brace at Inskip Elementary School on Feb. 10. Authorities have said the shooting occurred after Foster learned his teaching contract would not be renewed for next year.

Foster has been jailed since the shooting, which occurred after students had been dismissed for the day.

Luna is being treated at a Georgia medical center for a spinal cord injury. Brace has been released from a Knoxville hospital.


Man faces multiple sexual assault charges

OSCEOLA, Neb. (AP) -- A 25-year-old York man has been charged in an arrest warrant with eight counts of first-degree sexual assault of a teenage girl.

Investigators say Adam Thomas assaulted a now-16-year-old girl in 2007 and 2008, when the girl was 13 and 14 years old. The Nebraska State Patrol says in court documents that the assaults took place in Thomas' car and his house.

Thomas' bail was set at $100,000. His preliminary hearing is set for Thursday.


State, county settle legal claims in fur protest

MORGAN, Utah (AP) -- The Utah Department of Transportation and Morgan County will pay nearly $40,000 to settle legal claims over a protest against fur farms.

Federal court papers say the two agencies have agreed to pay the Salt Lake Animal Advocacy Movement to cover its attorney fees and court costs.

The group sought permission last fall to hold a demonstration called Fur Free Saturday in Morgan. It sued over the county's requirement that it pay $425 for extra police and permit fees along with taking out a million-dollar insurance policy.

Group members also claimed UDOT employees violated their free speech rights because the agency wouldn't issue a permit for the protest.

Published: Tue, Feb 23, 2010


  1. No comments
Sign in to post a comment »