Columns

Kale is dead. Long live Kale!

September 2, 2015

I have never been able to fathom the popularity of kale. Look, I get it. It’s super easy to grow and it’s healthy. But Americans have eaten (and juiced) so much of it lately that there’s a world wide kale shortage. And babies? Hundreds have ...

'Breaking the silence' may help victims of domestic violence deal with abuse

September 2, 2015

By Rebecca Hayman, LMSW Domestic violence is a common and under-reported crime in the United States. Control is at the center of violent behavior. Abusive men use violence against women to exert and maintain control and power in the marital dyad. Abusive ...

Stereotypes at work

September 2, 2015

By Nick Roumel To modify an old saying 99% of restaurant servers will tell you they stereotype customers; the other 1% are lying. They do it by every protected status you can think of: age, race, gender, national origin, and ethnicity, to name a few. But ...

What does a hug cost?

September 2, 2015

By Marie E. Matyjaszek    When I think of prison, I don’t think of sunshine, palm trees and beautiful sparkly baubles (my preferred daydream items).  I toured a prison once, and even the weather cooperated for my general impression ...

Recent developments with retirement plans

September 2, 2015

By Philip J. Curtis There have been two significant developments affecting the operation of qualified retirement plans recently.  First, on April 14, the Depart­ment of Labor released its long-awaited proposed regulations (“DOL Regula­tions”) ...

The top secret tiger club

September 2, 2015

Last night was the State Bar Labor and Employment Section’s summer Tiger game outing. The organizers are to be commended for a great event. We had tickets not only to the game, but for a buffet in the “Tiger Club.” That’s where the ...