Columns

MAY IT PLEASE THE PALATE: The Top Secret Tiger Club

August 21, 2015

Recently the State Bar Labor and Employment Section held its summer Tiger game outing. The organizers are to be commended for a great event. We had tickets not only to the game, but for a buffet in the “Tiger Club.” That’s where the story ...

MAY IT PLEASE THE PALATE: "Kale is dead. Long live kale!"

August 21, 2015

I have never been able to fathom the popularity of kale. Look, I get it. It’s super easy to grow and it’s healthy. But Americans have eaten (and juiced) so much of it lately that there’s a world wide kale shortage. And babies? Hundreds have ...

MAY IT PLEASE THE PALATE: "Stereotypes at Work"

August 21, 2015

By Nick Roumel Nacht, Roumel & Salvatore, P.C. To modify an old saying 99% of restaurant servers will tell you they stereotype customers; the other 1% are lying. They do it by every protected status you can think of: age, race, gender, national origin, ...

MAY IT PLEASE THE PALATE: Improving the BLT

August 21, 2015

There is a brief window of time in Michigan when you can actually get a delicious, sun-ripened tomato. That is during our fourth season, “unbearably humid.” (That’s the one right after “relentless rain.”) There are so many things ...

MAY IT PLEASE THE PALATE: "The Most Interesting Cook in the World"

August 21, 2015

Recently I was explaining to my daughter the concept of the “Most Interesting Man in the World,” the brilliant Dos Equis beer ad campaign. (I am convinced that the creative geniuses of our generation are, by necessity, in advertising instead of ...

MAY IT PLEASE THE PALATE: "God's Waiting Room"

August 21, 2015

After moving to Michigan, I quickly learned the Bill Knapp’s demographic: lots and lots of seniors, enjoying traditional comfort food, and taking advantage of Bill Knapp’s legendary birthday discount: 1% off for every year of your age. Live long ...