Columns

Mediators can effectively flip the script

November 8, 2018

Earlene Baggett-Hayes When parties reach what may appear to be an impasse in mediation, mediators often employ various reality testing techniques. They may ask questions such as, “What do you think will happen if...?” or “How do you think ...

Stereotypes at work

November 8, 2018

To modify an old saying, 99 percent of restaurant servers will tell you they stereotype customers; the other 1 percent are lying. They do it by every protected status you can think of: age, race, gender, national origin, and ethnicity, to name a few. But they ...

ABA on disaster preparedness and ethical obligations

November 8, 2018

Nicole Black Bridgewater Media Newswires In the wake of recent hurricanes, disaster preparedness is on everyone’s minds. For lawyers affected by disasters, natural or otherwise, there are unique concerns given the nature of the services that they provide. ...

Acclaimed artist maintains 'focus' for a world to see

November 8, 2018

By Tom Kirvan It has been said that there is no inspiration quite like a deadline. Carole Kabrin, courtroom sketch artist extraordinaire, can fully appreciate the truism, as evidenced by her skill at slaying the deadline dragon for the likes of such clients ...

Blogging: The gift that keeps on giving

November 8, 2018

Traci Gentilozzi It can sometimes be difficult to come up with new topics for a blog. But the truth is, you don’t always need to publish brand-new blog content. If you blog regularly, you already have a treasure chest full of ideas at your fingertips. ...

Secret recording surges ... and it's legal, too

November 8, 2018

Marshall H. Tannick BridgeTower Media Newswires “Be secret and exult ... that is most difficult.” — William Butler Yeats, Responsibilities (1914) The surge in surreptitious recording was highlighted recently with the revelation of the secret ...