Red Mass celebrated at UDM Law

prev
next
– Photo by John Meiu


The University of Detroit Mercy School of Law recently conducted its 103rd annual Red Mass at Saints Peter and Paul Jesuit Church in Detroit. Retired Judge Patrick Duggan (second from left) led the Renewal of the Lawyer’s Oath of Commitment during the mass. Also taking part in the mass were (left to right) UDM Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Pamela Zarkowski, UDM President Dr. Antoine Garibaldi, UDM Law Dean Phyllis L. Crocker and Bishop George Murry. The custom of a special religious ceremony for all members of the bench and bar at the opening of each term of the court arose principally in England, France, and Italy in the early 13th century. UDM’s annual Red Mass dates back to 1877 when Detroit College, as the university was then known, began its first year with a mass at Saints Peter and Paul Church to ask the blessings of the Holy Spirit on the coming year’s work. The School of Law continued the tradition when it opened in 1912, again hosting the Red Mass on behalf of the Archdiocese of Detroit at Saints Peter and Paul through the present.  

 

Comments

  1. No comments
Sign in to post a comment »