At a Glance ...

prev
next

Teens withdraw guilty pleas in fatal freeway rock-throwing

FLINT. (AP) — Four Flint-area teens have withdrawn guilty pleas in the death of a 32-year-old man killed in 2017 by a rock thrown from an interstate overpass.

WJRT-TV reports that 18-year-old Mark Sekelsky, 16-year-old Trevor Gray, 17-year-old Mikadyn Payne and 17-year-old Alexzander Miller withdrew their pleas Friday to manslaughter charges.

The pleas had been made with the condition they would be sentenced as juveniles, but a judge ruled this summer that they would be sentenced as adults.

Kenneth White of Mt. Morris was riding in a van when a rock smashed through the windshield on I-75.

Kyle Anger, who was accused of throwing the rock, has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and awaits sentencing.


Orchestra Hall celebrates centennial in many ways

DETROIT (AP) — An acoustical and architectural gem in Detroit is turning 100, and the milestone is being marked in numerous ways.

Centennial celebrations for Orchestral Hall include a free concert on Oct. 23 by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, which makes its home on the stage. Officials say the venerated hall’s grand opening was on Oct. 23, 1919, and next month’s concert is dubbed “A Century of Pops.”

The DSO's season launches Oct. 4-6 with a restaging of the opening concert, featuring pieces by Beethoven, Bach, Mozart and Weber.

The anniversary also is being celebrated with a commemorative book.


Legal challenge filed to public charge rule

WASHINGTON (AP) — A group advocating for low-wage immigrants has filed a legal challenge to a Trump administration rule that may deny green cards to immigrants who use public services.

Georgetown Law school’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection and CASA filed a legal challenge in U.S. federal court Monday. Lawyers say changes to the so-called “public charge” rule violate due process under the U.S. Constitution.

Federal law already requires those seeking to become permanent residents or gain legal status to prove they will not be a burden to the U.S. — a “public charge,” in government speak. But the new rules detail a broader range of programs that could disqualify them, including Medicaid, food stamps and housing vouchers.


Stinky shoppers unoffended after store bans them

GREENWOOD, Miss. (AP) — You stink, stay out!

That’s the message from one Mississippi Delta convenience store to workers at a neighboring soybean oil mill.

The Greenwood Commonwealth reports the convenience store has a sign on its door stating “Notice: Bad Smelling Oil Mill People Please Do Not Enter.”

Anurag Randive, who manages the Greenwood store, says the sign was posted after customers complained about the odor of employees from the Express Grain oil mill across the street. He says he’s prevented some odorous workers from entering.

Randive says he hasn’t received any complaints.

Express Grain workers continue shopping at the store. Employee Michael Blount says workers who labor in the pits filled with stinking rotten soybeans send less-smelly coworkers inside to buy snacks.

Blount says, “We know we stink.”

Comments

  1. No comments
Sign in to post a comment »