Jury awwards $2 million in man's death at local nursing home

MOUNT CLEMENS (AP) -- A jury has awarded $2.35 million to the estate of a 56-year-old man who died after choking on a meatball at a Detroit-area nursing home.

The Macomb County jury decided Tuesday afternoon that Sava Senior Care Inc. was negligent in the death of Walter Polomski in March 2008. Sava operated the Nightingale Nursing Center in Warren.

The Macomb Daily reports the victim's 62-year-old brother was near tears moments after the verdict was announced in Mount Clemens.

Richard Polomski of Sterling Heights says he's "ecstatic," because he "got to find out what exactly happened" to his brother.

Sava attorney Raymond Watts Jr. declined comment.

The jury awarded $1.5 million for pain and suffering, $750,000 for the family's past "loss of society and companionship" and $100,000 for future loss of companionship

Published: Fri, Nov 18, 2011


  1. No comments
Sign in to post a comment »