Food stamp recipients may need home heating tax credit to keep benefits

Food stamp recipients in Michigan may have their benefits reduced if they do not receive the state's home heating tax credit, according to Joon H. Sung, deputy chief counsel, litigation of the Civil Law Group of Legal Aid and Defender Association Inc. (LAD).

The tax credit is funded through the state's Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

All low-income households, both home owners and renters, may apply for the tax credit, according to the Michigan Department of Treasury, which is responsible for determining eligibility and processing payments.

Food stamp recipients who do not pay for their heating separately from their rent will have their benefits substantially reduced if the cost of heating is not included in the calculation of those benefits, Sung said.

"Many have already have had their food stamps reduced or eliminated because they did not obtain the tax credit," Sung said.

The form for filing for the tax credit is MI-1040-CR7. The form and instructions for filing are available on the state's website at or at most public libraries.

The filing deadline is Sept. 30.

Prospective clients seeking legal assistance can contact LAD at 877-964-4700 or through its online intake program at

Published: Thu, Sep 17, 2015


  1. No comments
Sign in to post a comment »