New lawyers v board
Published: March 04, 2024
The Oakland County Bar Association’s 19th Annual Challenge between the New Lawyers Committee (NLC) and the OCBA Board featured a cornhole tournament at Platform in Birmingham on Thursday, February 15. After a tough loss last year, the NLC reclaimed the winning trophy for 2024.
Michigan to continue juvenile justice reform momentum thanks to federal funding boostMarch 04, 2024The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) will expand treatment options in local communities for youth involved in or at-risk of being involved in the juvenile justice system through an $825,000 federal grant.
Detroit woman bound over to stand trial, charged with acting as unlicensed CPA and unlicensed real estate agentMarch 04, 2024Last Thursday, Krystal Davis, 37, of Detroit, was bound over to the 3rd Circuit Court in Wayne County to stand trial on charges of operating as an unlicensed accountant and an unlicensed real estate agent, announced Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel. Davis was charged in January with one count of Accounting Violations-Unlicensed CPA and two counts of Occupational Code-Unlicensed Real Estate Agent. Unlicensed CPA is a 5-year felony, and each Unlicensed Real Estate Agent offense is a 90-day misdemeanor. Today’s preliminary exam took place in the 36th District Court in Detroit.
Family of man who died after being punched by Detroit police officer files federal lawsuitMarch 04, 2024DETROIT (AP) — The family of a 70-year-old man who died after a Detroit police officer punched him in the face, causing him to fall to the ground, is suing the former officer and the city of Detroit, seeking $50 million for alleged civil rights violations.
ABA Criminal Justice Section launches Prosecutorial Independence Task ForceMarch 04, 2024The Criminal Justice Section of the American Bar Association today announced the creation of the Task Force for Prosecutorial Independence to preserve and strengthen prosecutorial independence and enhance the American public’s understanding of the prosecutor’s critical role in maintaining the integrity of the criminal justice system.
headlines Oakland County
- New lawyers v board
- Michigan to continue juvenile justice reform momentum thanks to federal funding boost
- Detroit woman bound over to stand trial, charged with acting as unlicensed CPA and unlicensed real estate agent
- Family of man who died after being punched by Detroit police officer files federal lawsuit
- ABA Criminal Justice Section launches Prosecutorial Independence Task Force
- Partner ran office ‘like a toxic boys club locker room,’ fired Thompson Hine lawyer alleges
- Longtime civil rights advocate Emmet Bondurant will receive this year’s ABA Medal
- Is SCOTUS making it harder to teach constitutional law? Profs ‘depleted’ and taken aback by ‘velocity’ of change
- ‘Known Christian conservative’ judge says his ouster over sexual assault reversal was ‘total political hit job’
- What’s new in document automation for lawyers?
- Only 1 out of 5 defendants in this Mississippi county get court-appointed lawyers before indictment