- Posted May 03, 2012
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Federal judge dismisses suit over hotel bombing
By Eric Tucker
Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal judge in Maryland has dismissed a lawsuit against Marriott International stemming from a 2008 suicide bomb attack in Pakistan that killed more than 50 people.
The suit was brought last June by the family of Albert DiFederico, who was in Pakistan as a civilian contractor. It alleged that Marriott was negligent in defending the Islamabad hotel against terrorist attacks.
U.S. District Judge Roger Titus dismissed the lawsuit last week, saying the case should be heard in Pakistan. The judge says the case would require the testimony of Pakistani citizens, and he can't force them to appear.
Marriott is based in Maryland. The judge says the hotel is owned and operated by a Marriott franchisee and that Marriott has little control over security procedures.
Published: Thu, May 3, 2012
headlines Oakland County
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




