- Posted August 12, 2013
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
ACLU sues Ann Arbor schools for 7th-hour class fee
ANN ARBOR (AP) -- The American Civil Liberties Union has sued the Ann Arbor Public Schools over a plan to charge students $100 per semester to take seventh-hour classes.
The ACLU said it filed the suit last week on behalf of two high school students, saying the fees violate the Michigan Constitution.
ACLU Michigan director Kary Moss says students "should not be forced to pay the price for budget shortfalls." She says the constitution makes it clear that "public education should be as free as the air we breathe."
District spokeswoman Liz Margolis says school officials haven't yet received the complaint and will comment after reading it.
The ACLU says the district classified seventh-hour class at Huron and Pioneer high schools as optional and set fees for them.
Published: Mon, Aug 12, 2013
headlines Oakland County
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




