- Posted September 12, 2013
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Trial of 4-year-old's death will stay in Bay City
BAY CITY (AP) -- The trial of a man charged with killing a 4-year-old boy on a mid-Michigan Indian reservation will stay in Bay City federal court.
Judge Thomas Ludington has turned down a request to move the trial to the Detroit area. Anthony Bennett is accused of killing Carnel Chamberlain, who was the son of his girlfriend. The boy's remains were found last year under his home on the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Reservation near Mount Pleasant.
Defense attorney John Shea says Bennett can't get a fair trial because of excessive publicity about the case. The judge says reports about Bennett haven't been "glowing," but he believes a fair jury can be found among the hundreds of thousands of residents in central and northern Michigan.
Trial is set for Jan. 14.
Published: Thu, Sep 12, 2013
headlines Oakland County
- Solo practitioner happy to spearhead association’s Young Lawyers Section
- Insurance & Indemnity Law Section awards scholarship
- Firearm safety, education emphasized on anniversary of secure storage law
- ‘Generative AI 101’ offers lawyers a practical guide
- UIA closed three days this week for Presidents Day and system upgrade
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




