- Posted October 03, 2014
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Orr testifies in Detroit bankruptcy trial
By Corey Williams
Associated Press
DETROIT (AP) - Emergency manager Kevyn Orr testified in bankruptcy court Wednesday that when he took over Detroit's finances, he found a city with poor services for residents, next to no cash flow and significant neighborhood blight.
Orr, who was hired by the state in March 2013 to fix Detroit's finances and who took the city into the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history, was called to the stand and questioned by a city lawyer in federal court in Detroit.
Judge Steven Rhodes is to decide whether Orr's plan to remove $7 billion in debt is fair to creditors. Orr has said Detroit's unsecured debt is about $12 billion.
Orr said Wednesday that before he filed for bankruptcy, every creditor wanted to be "paid in full."
"Each of the groups had a view that their situation was special ... and did not want to take a haircut," he said.
At the same time, the city was struggling, he testified.
Police and ambulance response times were slower than the national average, he said. Most fire runs were to abandoned houses and buildings. Communications and computer systems were antiquated.
"The city's core provision of services were substandard. It had an inability to meet its bills," testified Orr, who also said the city bounced a check or two.
Orr's debt restructuring plan, in which deals have already been reached with most creditors, sets aside $1.7 billion for improving city services. A centerpiece is an agreement where businesses, foundations and the state will donate more than $800 million to soften cuts to retiree pensions. The so-called "Grand Bargain" also would keep city-owned art from being sold to satisfy some debt.
Of the total unsecured debt, the city owes $5.7 billion in retiree health care obligations and $3.5 billion in pension liabilities.
"The city paid retiree health care out of pocket," Orr said Wednesday. "We knew the trajectory of where the city was going was not sustainable. We had to get a grip on the pension underfunding."
The city stopped providing health insurance to retirees earlier this year. Those not eligible for Medicare had to sign up for coverage through the state's health exchange under the federal Affordable Care Act.
Orr was scheduled to return to the stand Thursday. He has said that the trial could end before the end of October.
Published: Fri, Oct 03, 2014
headlines Oakland County
- Fellows Reception
- Nessel secures judgment against construction company for consumer protection violation
- ACG Detroit celebrates women leaving an impact on the middle market at Inspire & Ignite Luncheon
- Attorneys general ask court to enforce order preventing cuts to billions in disaster preparedness funding
- ABA honors Robert Burns with its Robert B. McKay Law Professor Award
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




