DETROIT (AP) — The Michigan Court of Appeals says it’s too late to get involved in the case of a former state lawmaker who resigned his seat after shooting at his ex-wife’s Mercedes-Benz car.
Prosecutors appealed after a Wayne County judge rejected part of the plea deal requiring Virgil Smith to quit the Senate. The appeals court says the Detroit Democrat voluntarily resigned so the appeal is moot.
Smith was released from jail in December after serving 10 months for malicious destruction of property.
The appeals court says Judge Lawrence Talon abused his authority in not allowing prosecutors to withdraw the plea deal.
But in a 3-0 decision last week, the court said reopening the case now would be “fundamentally unfair” because Smith is out of office and fulfilling the terms of his sentence.
- Posted April 24, 2017
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Appeals court drops case involving lawmaker's resignation
headlines Macomb
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




