MACKINAW CITY, Mich. (AP) — Consumers Energy has filed a lawsuit, saying a tugboat anchor caused more than $1 million in damage when two underwater power lines were severed in April.
Spokeswoman Katie Carey says the lines have been out of service since 1990 but remain in the Straits of Mackinac near the Mackinac Bridge. The utility still is considering what to do with them.
Consumers Energy is the latest to file a lawsuit over the April 1 anchor incident. Enbridge Energy, the state of Michigan and the owner of other power lines are also suing VanEnkevort Tug and Barge, alleging damage.
Consumers Energy says the “no-anchor zone” is well known. The lawsuit was filed last week in federal court in western Michigan. A spokesman for the tugboat company declined to comment Monday.
- Posted August 01, 2018
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Consumers Energy sues over power line damage in Straits of Mackinac
headlines Oakland County
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




