- Posted April 02, 2012
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Court won't hear appeal, clearing path for parole
CASEVILLE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -- The Michigan Supreme Court won't stand in the way of parole for a man convicted of killing an 18-year-old in the Thumb in 1992.
The court last week turned down an appeal from the Huron County prosecutor's office. Phil Paquette has spent about 20 years in prison for the stabbing of Michael Gravelle at a cottage in Caseville Township, 50 miles northeast of Bay City.
Paquette's path to parole has been bumpy. The parole board ordered his release in 2010, but a Huron County judge blocked it, saying the 53-year-old Paquette was a threat to the public.
The state appeals court declined to take an appeal, but the Supreme Court last summer told the lower court to consider the case. It did and said Paquette's parole decision was properly made.
Published: Mon, Apr 2, 2012
headlines Oakland County
- Fellows Reception
- Court orders EES Coke Battery to comply with clean air act and pay $100 million civil penalty
- Public health, green groups sue EPA over repeal of rule supporting climate protections
- Judge grants hearing, expresses concerns ex-Michigan coach Moore may have had rights violated
- ‘Digital Accessibility & the Courts’ explored online
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




