PLYMOUTH TOWNSHIP (AP) — A judge has ruled in favor of Detroit in a dispute over ownership of a portion of a former Plymouth Township prison site that’s worth millions of dollars.
The Detroit Free Press reports Wayne County Circuit Judge Robert Colombo Jr. ruled the city improperly lost the property to tax foreclosure and the 190-acre parcel, part of the former Detroit House of Corrections, should revert back to Detroit.
The site in Wayne County’s Plymouth Township had been used as farmland for the prison, which closed in 1986.
Charles Raimi, Detroit’s deputy corporation counsel, says the property has been assessed at about $8 million and options are open for future use.
Plymouth Township is appealing. The Wayne County treasurer also was among the defendants. His office says the ruling will be reviewed.
- Posted April 21, 2015
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Judge sides with Detroit in dispute over ex-prison property
headlines Macomb
headlines National
- Play-Based Learning: Can simulation games help lawyers learn management and business development skills?
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Court orders hospital to resume gender-affirming care for transgender kids
- Netflix’s ‘The Lincoln Lawyer’ will rest his case at end of season 5
- Woman gives birth during arraignment in NYC courtroom
- SCOTUS will examine scope of Title IX protections and whether civil rights law covers work bias claims




