PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A federal judge has recused himself from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s lawsuit over the state’s $75 million deal with 38 Studios, the failed video game company owned by former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling.
WPRI-TV reports that U.S. District Judge William Smith was randomly assigned to the case when the agency filed suit last week against the Rhode Island Commerce Corp., Wells Fargo and others. The SEC says they defrauded investors by making misleading statements when they sold the bonds used to fund the deal.
Smith says his wife works for Commerce, the state economic development agency, so recusing himself was appropriate.
The case has now been assigned to U.S. District Judge Jack McConnell.
- Posted March 16, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Judge in 38 Studios case steps aside
headlines Macomb
headlines National
- Play-Based Learning: Can simulation games help lawyers learn management and business development skills?
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Court orders hospital to resume gender-affirming care for transgender kids
- Netflix’s ‘The Lincoln Lawyer’ will rest his case at end of season 5
- Woman gives birth during arraignment in NYC courtroom
- SCOTUS will examine scope of Title IX protections and whether civil rights law covers work bias claims




