BATTLE CREEK (AP) — The Michigan Supreme Court has cleared the way for a new trial for a Battle Creek-area woman who insists she’s innocent of criminal sexual conduct against a child.
In an order released last week, the court says the appeals court used the wrong legal standard in stopping a new trial for Lorinda Swain.
Swain was convicted in 2002 and sentenced to at least 25 years in prison.
But her conviction was set aside by a Calhoun County judge after Swain claimed a former boyfriend who didn’t appear at trial would have given favorable testimony.
The judge said it was new evidence.
Justice Bridget McCormack didn’t participate in the Supreme Court decision. Before joining the court, she was Swain’s lawyer at the University of Michigan law school’s Innocence Clinic.
- Posted May 23, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
State high court OKs new trial for woman
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- Warren man bound over on 10 felonies related to alleged shooting and high-speed fleeing and eluding
- Nessel secures judgment against construction company for consumer protection violation
- ACG Detroit celebrates women leaving an impact on the middle market at Inspire & Ignite Luncheon
- Attorneys general ask court to enforce order preventing cuts to billions in disaster preparedness funding
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




