DETROIT (AP) — The Michigan Court of Appeals won’t stop a former state lawmaker from seeking a seat on the Detroit City Council.
Virgil Smith had agreed not to seek elective office for five years when he pleaded guilty to shooting at his ex-wife’s car. But that part of the deal was thrown out by a judge, who said it was unconstitutional.
In a 2-1 decision last week, the appeals court said the judge made the right call.
Judges Deborah Servitto and Michael Kelly say it would be “coercion” to allow prosecutors to try to negotiate a politician’s future as part of a plea deal.
In dissent, Judge Michael Riordan says the plea deal should have been set aside at the prosecutor’s request after Wayne County Judge Lawrence Talon stripped some key conditions.
- Posted August 28, 2017
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Ex-state lawmaker wins appeal over run for Detroit council
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- Warren man bound over on 10 felonies related to alleged shooting and high-speed fleeing and eluding
- Nessel secures judgment against construction company for consumer protection violation
- ACG Detroit celebrates women leaving an impact on the middle market at Inspire & Ignite Luncheon
- Attorneys general ask court to enforce order preventing cuts to billions in disaster preparedness funding
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




