BAD AXE (AP) — A county at the tip of Michigan’s Thumb is bucking a trend: It won’t join a lawsuit against the makers of opioid drugs.
Cities and counties across Michigan are suing drug companies and retailers over the consequences of excessive opioid use. They want the companies to reimburse them for the costs of responding to the crisis.
But Huron County won’t participate after a unanimous vote last week by commissioners. The Huron Daily Tribune says officials are concerned about the time it would take to determine the costs.
County attorney Stephen Allen says it could take a full work week.
Allen says there would be additional commitments when the litigation picks up steam.
- Posted May 15, 2018
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Thumb-area county won't pursue opioid manufacturers
headlines Macomb
headlines National
- Play-Based Learning: Can simulation games help lawyers learn management and business development skills?
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Court orders hospital to resume gender-affirming care for transgender kids
- Netflix’s ‘The Lincoln Lawyer’ will rest his case at end of season 5
- Woman gives birth during arraignment in NYC courtroom
- SCOTUS will examine scope of Title IX protections and whether civil rights law covers work bias claims




