Duggan cites national conditions narrowing path to victory as reasons for stunning gubernatorial dropout

By Zach Gorchow and Lily Guiney
Gongwer News Service


Consolidation of national Democratic support and frustration around external conditions like the war in Iran were among the reasons why former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan decided there was no longer a viable path to victory in his independent bid for governor, he explained this morning.

In a letter to supporters released to announce the suspension of his gubernatorial campaign, Duggan said he was full steam ahead until relatively recently, when “the mood of the country had shifted suddenly and dramatically.”

“By April … Democrats (and many Independents) were unified in anger as Trump’s war in Iran dragged on and gas prices rose above $5 a gallon,” Duggan said in the letter. “On May 5, the Democratic State Senate candidate in Saginaw won 60% of the vote in a seat Republicans thought would be very competitive.”

The straw that seemed to break the camel’s back was, in fact, the Glengariff poll released by the Detroit Regional Chamber, which had endorsed Duggan, last week which showed Duggan declining in support against Democratic frontrunner Jocelyn Benson as Democrats coalesced behind a favorite. Coupled with the fundraising disadvantage inherent to being a candidate not affiliated with a major party apparatus, Duggan said it was not practical to continue.

“Our internal polling showed the intense anger over gas prices and Iran was boosting Democrats in every office nationally.  The Chamber poll last week showing we’d fallen 11 points behind the Democratic candidate reflects that reality,” Duggan said. “Being down 11 points in May wouldn’t discourage me – I’ve been down worse than that in the past. But this time it’s compounded by our inability to build serious national fundraising support.”

If it were one factor or the other, Duggan said he may have continued, but it was both.

“If we were even in the polls and behind in fundraising, we have a path to winning. If we were behind in the polls and even in fundraising, we have a path. But we’re behind in both,” he said. “It’s just not right to ask our volunteers, faith leaders, unions, elected officials and donors to continue in a campaign that, in my heart, I no longer feel good about our chances to win.”

Benson and Michigan Democratic Party Chair Curtis Hertel both issued statements thanking Duggan for his service to Detroiters and for the voice he brought to the gubernatorial race over the past year.

“At a time when politics can feel divided and cynical, we need more civility, more listening, and more people willing to work together to move our state forward. I welcome Mayor Duggan’s ideas, his supporters, and everyone who believes Michigan’s future is bigger than division — and that it can be a place where anyone can afford to live, work, and thrive,” Benson said. “We may not always agree on everything, but we share a commitment to building a stronger Michigan. And that work continues in this campaign.”

Benson and Duggan had tense interactions earlier this week at a forum hosted by the United Auto Workers in Dearborn, where Duggan was ill-received by union members compared to Benson and fellow Democratic candidate Chris Swanson.

Duggan and Hertel have frequently butted heads over the past year, but Hertel extended an olive branch in his statement this morning.

“We’re grateful to Mayor Mike Duggan for his service to the city of Detroit and our entire state. While we’ve had disagreements, the mayor brought crucial ideas to this race and we appreciate his commitment to bringing people together,” Hertel said. “As we look ahead, we welcome Mayor Duggan’s supporters into our growing coalition as we work to elect a Democratic governor this November who will continue to move Michigan forward.”

Sources, speaking on background, said those inside the Duggan camp are reaching out to allies to confirm he is dropping out of the race. Polling recently suggested Duggan was failing to catch on, or even seeing a dip in support, and sources said Duggan had concluded the Democratic momentum is too strong and that he no longer saw a path to victory.

A nonprofit allied with Duggan, Put Progress First, had spent about $15 million on ads, but Duggan himself last week signaled concern that the race had begun shifting into a referendum on President Donald Trump and gasoline prices, making his message of fixing Lansing problematic.

So unexpected was his decision that news of it began spreading merely half an hour after his campaign announced its 27th union endorsement

Duggan’s candidacy will end much as it began: with a jolt to Michigan’s political observers who’d been wondering since the former mayor’s December 2024 announcement whether he would be able to overcome the hurdles faced by third-party candidates and which major party candidate he would potentially spoil a general election turnout for.

Just last week, Duggan spoke optimistically to supporters at a Lansing Regional Chamber event about what the next several months of the campaign would hold, stating he was prepared to “come home” to metro Detroit after spending months outstate.

––––––––––––––––––––
Subscribe to the Legal News!
https://www.legalnews.com/Home/Subscription
Full access to public notices, articles, columns, archives, statistics, calendar and more
Day Pass Only $4.95!
One-County $80/year
Three-County & Full Pass also available